Diabetes is a common disease that affects millions of people across the world. Many doctors recommend a diet and some exercises to cure this disease. Regular exercises are beneficial for diabetics because they help keep the blood sugar in check. A diet rich in fiber whole grains is also recommended for diabetics.
Now, many doctors claim that all exercises are not beneficial for diabetic patients. The American Diabetics Association suggests at least 150 minutes of moderately intense aerobic activity every week. Let us discuss a few exercises that help cure this disease.
- Aerobic exercises: Aerobic exercises involve continuous movement of large groups of muscles repeatedly. Walking and cycling are two classic examples of aerobic training. Such exercises enhance insulin sensitivity. Medium to high volume aerobic exercises significantly bring down cardiovascular problems in type 1 as well as type 2 diabetes. Aerobic exercises, in general boosts cardiorespiratory fitness in type 1 diabetes. People with type 2 diabetes, who undergo aerobic exercises regularly, claim to have low blood pressure and develop insulin resistance. Moderate aerobic exercises improve endothelial levels.
- Resistance exercise: Diabetes inevitably lessens muscular strength. People who go I for resistance exercises claim that they minimize the risk brought about by exercise-induced hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. When diabetic patients perform resistance exercise and aerobic exercises in one session, performing resistance exercise at first leads to lesser hypoglycemia. In case of patients who have type 2 diabetes, resistance exercises lead to better glycemic control and lower blood pressure. It also improves muscle mass, density of bone minerals and cardiovascular health.
- Other physical exercises: Yoga and pranayam have been proved to improve lipid levels and glycemic control in case of people cursed with type 2 diabetes.
- Pilates: Doctors recommend pilates for diabetic patients. Pilates are effective in losing weight. Yoga has been known to promote the function of human brain and nerves. It also helps people lose weight and reduces their level of stress.
- Swimming: People need to move their entire body while they swim. As a result, all the muscles stretch out. It is effective in bringing about weight loss, but doesn’t pressurize the joints. As a result, it is suitable for diabetic patients. They may swim at least thrice a week.
- Brisk walk: Physicians recommend a brisk walk for at least half an hour, thrice a week to diabetes patients. A brisk walk helps keep the level of blood sugar in check.
Conclusion: Diabetes patients need to work out a suitable plan for exercise. Several exercises reduce the level of blood sugar in the body. However, a sudden and drastic dip in the blood sugar level may give rise to other complications. As a result, a balanced workout regimen needs to be maintained to reduce weight and maintain the blood sugar level simultaneously. They also need to find out which exercises are suitable for them. The exercises discussed above keep fluctuating blood sugar levels in check. A popular proverb says “Health is wealth.” In this respect, exercises are important to cure diabetics.